didn't look at the movie itself, i must admit, but thought of something
about the *really* weird part-

i've seen that kind of thing where a couple put statement make something
work, but if you take them out it fails. At the time, it seemed that
what was happening was that the OS was getting ahead of itself, and
those put statements stalled long enough for the OS to finish the
process it needed to finish before starting the next thread. I think i
saw this bug when using older code on faster machines than it was
originally written for and tested on.
Just a shot in the dark...

--bhakti