In reading your description, the first thing to pop in my head was
"it must be a ThinkPad 600E".  they are notorious for being poor
multimedia machines.  sorry I don't have any easy answers, perhaps
you could give us more info (QT or wav, etc).  if QT, try setting the
soundOut to WavOut in the QT control panel.
Also, enable DMA in the Device Manager.

bryce