Hi Kerry, Try: wordList = duplicate(gPuzzleList[gWhichPuzzle]) _____ Kerry Thompson wrote: > wordList = gPuzzleList[gWhichPuzzle] > > later, after I place the word, I'm doing > > deleteAt wordList, 1 > > Which, to my surprise, also deletes the first item in gPuzzleList. So, I > must be making a copy of the pointer rather than the list. > > The question is, how do I copy the contents of the list so I can manipulate > the copy without changing the original? Good luck, Fumio Nonaka Attain Corporation [EMAIL PROTECTED] [To remove yourself from this list, or to change to digest mode, go to http://www.penworks.com/LUJ/lingo-l.cgi To post messages to the list, email [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Problems, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]) Lingo-L is for learning and helping with programming Lingo. Thanks!]