At 12:03 PM -0500 12/19/00, Lists wrote:
>I completely agree. I always use xtras and behaviors as an entry point.
>Just understanding the new(#bitmap) (for example) process of creating a
>new cast member is enough for some students to understand the idea of
>birthing (appropro, no?) (wow, suddenly I'm Pepe LePew) an object.
>
>Rich Shupe
>
>On 12/19/00 3:50 AM, Brennan Young ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) sent:
>>Now I'm convinced that understanding the scripting of behaviors, to the
>>level of being able to manipulate the scriptinstancelist of a sprite a
>>little, is the best route for entering the mindset of parent scripts
>>today. Working with Xtras, such as fileIO is another good way to
>>understand the concept of abstract objects.
><snip>
>>These days, I have a three month old child object at home, which needs
>>milk and other input parameters (not to mention the output), so my time
>  >for such projects is limited.

In fact, back in the days of Director 4, to create a new object from
a parent script, you used to call the "birth" handler instead of the
"new" handler.

Pepe LePew - Rich, you made my day!  Ah, Mon Ami  (sp??)

And to Brennan, yes, having real child objects at home does take up a
great deal of time!!!  I'm actually trying to work on an OOP write
up, but I don't have any spare time.

Irv
--
Lingo / Director / Shockwave development for all occasions.

        (Over two millions lines of Lingo code served!)