At 12:17 PM -0500 1/2/2001, Hal Rummel wrote:
>Hello All and Happy New Year!
>
>While not a "Lingo-specific" question, I hope nbody here minds me asking
>about Stub projectors and Xtras...
>
>I wish to have a stub throw up a quick splash screen while the main movie
>loads. This project will be burned to CD for distribution, so I typically
>place all required Xtras in a seperate directory and leave them out of the
>projector.
>
>My question, in a nutshell:
>
>Is there a lingo statement that should/needs to be placed in a frame script
>in the stub projector that will cycle it until the main.dcr movie and its
>required Xtras loads, or will this happen "automatically" once the Stub
>issues a "go movie main.dcr" command from a frame script?

Hi Hal,

Xtras are loaded when the projector launches, not when a particular
movie loads, so you don't need to check for that. In general a stub
should just go to a launcher movie and not do any setup. That way if
you need to change things, you don't have to make a new stub.

If you want to show a splash sreen while things load, Director 8 has
an undocumented functionality where you can show a bitmap while the
projector loads. Name a bitmap the same as the projector with a (mac)
.pct or (PC) .bmp extension. This displays very fast. There are a few
quirks with this but in general it works well.

-Roy
--

     Roy Pardi
Contract Multimedia Developer   +  Lingo Programer