At 08:06 2/5/2001, Steven Frazier wrote:
>Hi
>      I can ask  director through lingo to paste the content of the
> clipboard into a member 7 through lingo into a an external cast named
> "externalcast" by the following script to a button..
>
>On MouseUp
>       (member (7, "externalcast").pasteClipBoardInto( )
>end
>
>But if I have a field named "membername" and the user filled this in, how
>can this become the name of the member 7 ? Is there a lingo way to paste a
>field content into the name of member?

member("membername").name = member("membername").text

>Part two of my needs here is to ask
>Is there a lingo way to paste the clipboard contents into :
>
>1. a cast member not yet taken - a new blank spot in the cast window.
>2.name that new member from the contents of a field.

Indeed there is. Check out the new() command in the Lingo Dictionary. It
allows you to create a new member of any type in any castLib. Then you can
supply the name for the member as shown in the step above.

newMem = new(#text, castLib "externalcast")
newMem.pasteClipBoardInto( )
newMem.name = newMem.text

After the pasteClipBoardInto(), you may want to check the member's type -
just in case the user had a bitmap or sound or something other than text in
the clipboard.

For the pasting stuff, I haven't experimented with the pastClipBoardInto()
command, but I've had great success with Buddy API's baCopyText() to copy
text into the clipboard. I would bet it's baPasteText() is just as
reliable, although these commands only work with text. Then again, Lingo's
commands may work fine, too - and they work with other media types than text.

--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' :)