>From: Florian Bogeschdorfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: <lingo-l> x-post  PASTING external cast name -
>growingprojector database?
>Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 18:16:40 +0100
>

>"Mark A. Boyd" schrieb:
> >
> > At 08:06 2/5/2001, Steven Frazier wrote:
> > >Hi
> > >      I can ask  director through lingo to paste the content of the
> > > clipboard into a member 7 through lingo into a an external cast named
> > > "externalcast" by the following script to a button..
> > >
> > >On MouseUp
> > >       (member (7, "externalcast").pasteClipBoardInto( )
> > >end
> > >
> > >But if I have a field named "membername" and the user filled this in,
>how
> > >can this become the name of the member 7 ? Is there a lingo way to
>paste a
> > >field content into the name of member?
> >
> > member("membername").name = member("membername").text
> >
> > >Part two of my needs here is to ask
> > >Is there a lingo way to paste the clipboard contents into :
> > >
> > >1. a cast member not yet taken - a new blank spot in the cast window.
> > >2.name that new member from the contents of a field.
> >
> > Indeed there is. Check out the new() command in the Lingo Dictionary. It
> > allows you to create a new member of any type in any castLib. Then you
>can
> > supply the name for the member as shown in the step above.
> >
> > newMem = new(#text, castLib "externalcast")
> > newMem.pasteClipBoardInto( )
>
>Mark, If I understood right, then Steven wants a different field, where
>the user enters the name, therefore this line should be
>newMem.name = myField.text
>
> > newMem.name = newMem.text
>
>Florian
> >
> > After the pasteClipBoardInto(), you may want to check the member's type
>-
> > just in case the user had a bitmap or sound or something other than text
>in
> > the clipboard.
> >
> > For the pasting stuff, I haven't experimented with the
>pastClipBoardInto()
> > command, but I've had great success with Buddy API's baCopyText() to
>copy
> > text into the clipboard. I would bet it's baPasteText() is just as
> > reliable, although these commands only work with text. Then again,
>Lingo's
> > commands may work fine, too - and they work with other media types than
>text.

Thanks very much Mark and Florian
I think it is best if I put some detail here to my request. Because taking
both or your suggestions helped me but I couldn't quite get
it to work and I think I better get the details here so there is no
mistaking what I am looking to do and you might be able to help me with the
exact lingo. I am taking the time because I think others might be interested
in doing this as well.

1. I would like to have a cross platform director movie named " picture
database" that will be made into a both platform projector.
In this movie I would like the user to be able to open the small projector
and they would first be confronted with a blank screen.
This is what I would like the user to see.
In this opening screen they would see a button named "new" ---
In this opening screen they would see a button named "paste picture " ---
They would see an editable text field named  "entercastname" ---
There would be space for the user to paste in a picture via the clip board
into that frame.
There might be another text field named " frame " which would automatically
display the number of the director frame being displayed.

These is the functionality of this frame--

        I would like the user to click on the "new" button and a blank picture area
and text area would come up and the new frame would be created and actually
say "2"
        Then when the user was ready to paste in a picture they would copy
something to the clipboard and when they press the button "paste picture" -
the picture would paste itself into the frame  and the name the user 'named
the picture with' would paste
its content into the external cast named "externalcast" both the picture of
the frame and the text from the field "entercastname",
It is important that this paste picture button executes all these things and
also creates a new castmember and castmember name when the button is
pressed. After they have pressed the "paste picture button"  it would
automatically take them to a new frame - stop there and the process could
begin all over again for as long a necessary. ( all the pictures are pasted
in the movie and have been saved in a cast named "externalcast".

This movie would need to be a projector and the blank cast named
"externalcast" would be collecting the pictures. The projector would enlarge
as would the cast until the user was finished adding the pictures.

Later I would like to use that cast in another movie with everything already
named by the other user..

So to review
1. A movie named "picture database"
2. a Field named  "entercastname"  where the user would enter the name of
the picture they paste in.
3. a Field named  "frame" which would automatically display the frame number
of the movie.
4. a "New"  button for the user to advance to a new frame and do the whole
process once.
5. a Button Named " paste picture " which would do the following.
        a. paste a picture to the stage on this frame only (one frame)
        b. create a new cast member in an external cast named "externalcast"
        c. name that newly formed cast member with the name placed in the field
"entercastname" by the user to describe the picture they pasted onto the
stage.
        d. When it is finished doing the above steps - it would create a new blank
frame - number the frame in the field "frame" and the process would start
all over.
6. a Back button to review the entries already made.
7. This whole movie then is made into a projector to do this in a runtime
situation on both platforms. With a projector named
"data projector" .. This would of course enlarge and would save a complete
named cast to be later used for other projects.

This is exactly what I am trying to do. The lingo you gave me is great but I
can't seem to get this all to happen. I need your help to help me understand
the steps I am missing from the lingo you both gave me and where it needs to
be applied.

Thanks very much all of you for your time and your advice and the teaching
you have given all of us.

Steven