An update to my previous post:

I got bored waiting for the answers to come flooding in, so I wandered over
to Direct-L and spotted a strikingly similar thread there. Trolled the
archives from a few months ago and thought I had the solution.

I added a global flag to my prepare/startMovie handler so that it wouldn't
run twice. Reset it on stopMovie. Worked a charm.

It still crashes for me. With amazing regularity in the same movie every
time now. I'm navigating from a movie that has a DirectMedia sprite playing.
I've tried pausing/stopping this video before issuing the 'go' command, but
it still crashes. I'm getting more and more resigned to not being able to do
the preloading I was hoping for.

Unless anyone has any suggestions ...

Thanks for listening.
Sean Wilson.