Without actually seeing your movies, here's an idea off the top of my
head...

How about having a movie script in your external cast that contains all the
code you put into the prepareMovie handler, but name it "MoviePrep" or
something.

This MoviePrep handler is then called from a prepareMovie handler built into
the internal cast of each movie.

In theory this should provide the robustness of preparing a movie from an
internal cast, as you have witnessed, with the ease of having only a single
file to deal with at design-time.

As I said it's just a thought (I've dealt with similar problems in VB this
way).

LePhuronn