Kerry's problem does not appear to be related to communicating to a
browser via JavaScript. Instead, it appears to be an isolated environment
preventing JavaScript-written pages from allowing a Shockwave movie to
read in its own HTML paramaters via externalParam...

My first thought was that Mac does not use ActiveX, so double check that
the JS is formed correctly with respect to the EMBED tag. A common
culprit is nested quotes. (Be sure to either alternate double and single
or, better yet, escape your quotes with a backslash.)

Another thing to worry about is that, in the EMBED tag, the swLiveConnect
attribute must be present and set to true.

These problems may not be the culprit since I think Kerry said it was
working in Netscape PC. I'd have to see the code to tell.

I may be wrong, but I don't think this statement is wholly accurate.
>The way of communicating to a browser via Javascript & VBscript does not
>work in a Mac browser version 5.1 or less.

This is true on Windows IE prior to 4.0. It is also true of all IE
browsers on the Mac. The latter is because Microsoft STUPIDLY did not
enable LiveConnect which allows JavaScript to communicate with plugins.
This is infuriating, and I was stunned that it wasn't fixed after 4.5 was
such a failure. It does, however, work in all Netscape browsers 3.0 and
later, I think.

>A positively frustrating experience.
This statement is wholly accurate.

>Macintosh version 4x browsers do not correctly resolve relative URLs
>correctly.
Hmmm... I've never run into this personally, or heard this. I'll have to
look into this.

>The methods tried & true on Windows do not work for Mac.  Have a search in
>Director Web digest for communicating with a browser.  Search in
>Macromedia's support site for resolving URLs (same problem goes for Flash &
>Director).

I searched Macromedia's technotes for URL and couldn't find anything
relevent at quick glance. Does anyone know which technote this is? (I
haven't searched DirectorWeb yet.)

>Hope this helps,

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to do some research on the
Mac-only resolving of URLs...

Rich Shupe