on 3/21/01 7:40 PM, jonathan at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
(among other things):

> I forgot to mention I am creating a Fruit machine, English Pub style
> machine. For the americans: the machines you find in Las Vagus....
>
> So I will be using the random number generator for for a lot of this [snip]

Jonathan:

If you are going to put up an online slot machine built in Director, there
are a couple of things to keep in mind:

- .dcrs are hackable. Someone with the proper utilities, a bit of knowledge,
and enough patience will find a way to cheat and rip you off, especially if
there are cash payouts or prizes. Be very careful here.

- the random number generator in Director is more correctly called a
psuedo-random number generator, meaning that there is a pattern to the
numbers returned, depending on how the random number generator is seeded.
Before using it to return random results, you should perform tests to make
sure that the numbers are random enough for you (entropy tests, I think.)

Proceed with caution, and best of luck on your project!

Allan

Allan Evans    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
now back in Arlington, VA by popular demand :)
"No matter where you go, there you are." - BB