Boyd,

Are you looking for some other model for representing the structure of the
XML document in memory? Or are you simply looking for a better, easier or
more intuitive way for accessing the nodes in the tree once the document is
parsed?

I ask this because the XMLParser Xtra does provide a Lingo API for accessing
the nodes in a parsed XML document. You aren't relegated to hassling with
the propertly list that it's makeList() method spits out. Have you looked at
accessing the document's nodes via the child, attributeName, and
attributeValue object lists? I know that the Xtra isn't the best thing in
the world, and it doesn't come close to providing access to everything that
can appear in an XML document, but it's still fairly workable if you use the
specialized Lingo API it provides.

(As an aside: I'm wondering if D8.5 provides something akin to Flash 5's XML
object????)

Alternatively, you might want to look into a preview version of DOM-Lingo.
It's a DOM binding to the Lingo language, and includes a full implemention
of DOM Level 2. Well, not quite full -- I'm still working on it. But you
might want to have a look. Let me know.

Christopher Watson
Sr. Software Engineer
Lightspan, Inc.