Thanks a bunch.

"the keyBoardFocusSprite", why couldn't I guess that??

re. Al's comments, I alluded to problems when I set the visible of my text
sprites, or moved them off the stage.  Basically a text sprite in a higher
channel (ie lower number) with visible and editable set to False prevents a
visible, editable one in a lower channel from automatically becoming active.
The behaviour was quite unintuitive, and had me tearing my hair out.  I came
up with a workaround (hiding my 'invisible' sprites behind interface
elements - yuk), but I'll certainly recreate the situation, and test "the
keyBoardFocusSprite".

James