> Thanks for the tip, but when I tried this it made the sound seem like it
> just turned off right away without any sort of gradual fade.  How would I
> make the volume sort of lower when I press the button but not just
> completely turn off?

As Bhakti said, an updatestage is probably the answer.

But, for what it's worth, I tend to use a slider instead of a button for
this kind of functionality. The volume button pops up a slide bar and thumb
over the button on mouseDown, and the thumb of the slider moves up and down
with the mouse. Meanwhile, the volume is calculated as
thumb.locV/sliderRange. Similar to the way the volume button on a QuickTime
movie works.

In other words, the ratio of thumb to slider range determines the volume in
relation to the maximum system volume. I don't have the code handy, but I'll
post it tomorrow when I'm in the office, if you still need it.

-Kurt