An interesting phenomenon for us here at Lightspan...

Thanks to the prevalent educational austerity, there are a lot of 680x0 Macs
in our schools which are incapable of being upgraded to OS 8 (or would cause
great financial strain to do so). Since Shockwave 8 requires OS 8 on Macs,
we're stuck authoring in D7 and targeting Shockwave 7.0.2. Therefore, we
have configurations in QA on which auto-update is switched off, and
Shockwave 8 never sees the light of day of them. We also have to support PCs
down to a 486. Thankfully, our biggest revenue generator is the CD-based
line of products for PC and PlayStation.

Christopher Watson
Sr. Software Engineer
Lightspan, Inc.