>I want to use my stub movie to set the users monitor resolution to 1152x870
>this will be a MAC only app so I think it can be done....

I dare say that BuddyAPI can do this, but you might think about it
carefully. I own three Macs and use a fourth at work. None of them
can show 1152 x 870, three because they are LCD (as is the whole
Apple range of monitors) and don't go that high, the other one
because it's a 17 inch monitor, and although it can do that
resolution it's not too readable.

Another factor is the amount of VRAM. Any of the machines that have
less than 8 MB of VRAM wouldn't be able to do millions of colors, and
even if you also switch the screen down to 16 bit, you may run out of
memory when doing 3D, if you ever do that.

1024 x 768 is a more reasonable high resolution setting to require.
What is the reason you need 1152 x 870?