>well i know that an individual can legally sell a copy of directory that
>sHe legally purchased. so i guess you can sell the program and serial
>number, but you can't just give a away a serial number?

Bhakti, you trouble-maker ;-)

This is a bit of a dead horse, but here's one more flog...

1. We don't really own a copy of Director. We've bought a license. I
haven't read the license agreement all that closely, but I suspect there's
some language in there about "one machine". If you give somebody a copy of
your license, wouldn't it be like giving somebody a copy of your driver's
license?

2. I understand your intentions--you're not promoting piracy, you're just
curious. Yet... I don't want to sound like a company flak, but we've
hitched our wagons to Macromedia's star, and to a large extent, our careers
will flourish as Director flourishes. From a purely pragmatic point,
anything that damages Macromedia, also damages ourselves.

Incidentally, I've gotten a couple off-list responses to my comment about
Turkey. The guy asking for a crack was sending ISO 8859-9 encoded e-mail,
and that's Turkish. I hope nobody else took my comment as racist--it was in
fact the opposite. I've worked with some fine Turkish engineers, and it
would pain me to see them tarred with the same brush--IOW, just because the
would-be cracker is Turkish doesn't mean Turks are pirates.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson