For historical reasons.  "Quit" was in Lingo from the beginning.  But
people complained that executing "quit" when running in Director also
quit Director.  So, Macromedia, (being the nice folks that they are
and not wanting to break any existing application where you might
want the existing functionality), introduced the new keyword "halt"
which does what developers really wanted.

Irv

--

Lingo / Director / Shockwave development for all occasions.

   (Home-made Lingo cooked up fresh every day just for you.)