Do you have a cached copy of whatever document you are trying to retrieve? If you
retrieve the file, then pull the ethernet cable, then attempt a file retrieval again,
you won't get any error because the local cached copy will be used. Add a ? to the end
of the file's URL to always force a fresh retrieval (ignore cached copy) or make sure
to clear your cache before testing after the cable has been pulled.

Cheers,
Tom