The script below is easy enough, and if your strings are short it should
serve you fine, but if you have many long strings, there may be a more
efficient soilution that I'm not aware of:

strLC = "this is the string"
strUC = empty
repeat with i = 1 to length(strLC)
    intCurrent = CharToNum(strLC.char[i])
    if intCurrent >= 97 and intCurrent <= 122 then intConverted =
intCurrent - 32
    else intConverted = intCurrent
   put NumToChar(intConverted) after strUC
end repeat