At 07:43 PM 6/23/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>What I need is a text field in a MIAW that executes a keyUp handler no
>matter what the user does with the mouse and no matter what window is
>active.

You may not have your second and third wishes as thjey are unrealistic, but
if your user clicks in an editable field of a MIAW, and yet this MIAW does
not become the activeWindow, then there must be something in your frame
script or idle script or somewhere else that makes the other window active.
Clicking on a MIAW makes it active by default, so unless something else
changes that, it should stay active. Do you have a MoveToFront command
somewhere?

But you may have your first wish: to move the kbd focus to an editable text
sprite, set the selection property of that sprite's member:

sprite(x).member.editable = true
sprite(x).member.selection = [1, 1]

There's also the keyboardFocusSprite movie property that you can look up.