It certainly does work at runtime.  My two questions therefore would be:

1) Instead of doing importFileInto member("/Prefs/bhen"), the
applicationPath & "/" & "Prefs"&"/"&"bhen.txt"
that you instead do:
   importFilename =the applicationPath & "/" & "Prefs" & "/" & "bhen.txt"
   importMember =member("/Prefs/bhen")
   alert "Importing "&importFilename&" into member "&importMember
   importFileInto(importMember, importFilename)

   and see just exactly what it thinks it is importing into where.

2) Is xxx "/" xxx valid?  Usually it's a backslash ("\") not a forward
slash as you have it.

3) Does the import member exist?

- Tab