A distinguished member of this list suggested that this wouldn't be a
totally foolish question to ask on the list... so I'm asking it. The issue
may be a basic OS one, not a Director issue--I don't know. It's about
window focus and window stacking order on the Mac compared to MS Windows.

In MS Windows, an application window can be on top (in front of) other
windows, and yet not to have the focus. That's how Help works in most apps:
you can read the Help text and work in your application window at the same
time, even if the windows overlap: if Help is set to be "Always on Top,"
then it is not blocked/obscured by the other windows, even when it doesn't
have the focus. Always On Top is usually an option, and Buddy API even has
a function for using it with Director movies under Windows.

I think I've seen some Mac applications behave similarly, but I don't seem
to be able to achieve this with my projectors and their MIAWs. Here is the
situation:

My main movie window (the stage) has a text for reading, in Russian. (The
text is not editable.) When the user doesn't know a word, he clicks it, and
my Glossary movie opens as a MIAW, displaying the gloss for that word. The
user can read the gloss and then continue reading the text. This works fine
even when the Glossary MIAW overlaps the text window (the stage), because I
keep the MIAW in front of the stage by using the moveToFront command right
after the glossary lookup command. So far so good.

But when the user needs to scroll the text in the main text window (the
stage), and he clicks the scroll bar, nothing happens, because my
moveToFront command gave the MIAW the focus. The user has to click twice in
the text window: the first time to give the stage the focus, and then the
second time to scroll. Many users will assume, after the first click, that
the scrollbars aren't working (not being sophisticated enough to realize
that the dimmed title bar of the stage means the focus is elsewhere.)

So I would like (programmatically, through Lingo) to display the gloss in
the MIAW, and then move the focus back to the stage, but without having
the  MIAW disappear behind the stage. That way, the first click on the
scrollbar would do what the user expects it to do.

What gives me the hope that this can be achieved is the fact that it IS
easily achieved by a mouseclick: the second click in the stage does give
the stage the focus, but does _not_ bring the stage to the front; my MIAW
is still visible ON TOP of the stage, even though it now doesn't have the
focus. So I hope that I can make that happen through Lingo as well.

Am I making sense? Or am I being a dumb Windows junkie?