This week's theme: words borrowed from other languages.

catamaran (kat-uh-muh-RAN) noun

   1. A boat with two parallel hulls, joined by a frame.

   2. A quarrelsome person, especially a woman.

[From Tamil kattumaram, from kattu (to tie) + maram (tree, wood).
Tamil is spoken in Tamilnadu, a state in southern India and in Sri Lanka.
It has about 70 million speakers.]

Today's word in Visual Thesaurus: http://visualthesaurus.com/?w1=catamaran

-Anu Garg (words at wordsmith.org)

  "'I'm convinced my catamaran, which is larger than Ellen MacArthur's,
   can complete the course in 70 days,' [Tony] Bullimore said."
   British Yachtsman Bullimore Sets Out on World Record Attempt;
   dpa German Press Agency; May 1, 2007.

  "No, madam, it was your turn to bully me once -- now it's mine, and I
   use it. No, you old catamaran, though you pretend you never read novels."
   William Makepeace Thackeray; Lovel the Widower; Harper's; 1860.

Sponsors' messages:

Try an awesome stress reliever: Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty!
In adult-sized handfuls and amazing colors, http://puttyworld.com/?a=awad

Free! Extra issue of any of Champs-Elysees Audio Magazines in French, German,
Italian and Spanish. Subscribe at: http://web.champs-elysees.com/wsmith7

Studies show size matters. When you need a great idea, the longer your list
of ideas, the better. "Think Better" = more ideas. http://tenkaizen.com

The man who can make others laugh secures more votes for a measure than the
man who forces them to think. -Malcolm De Chazal, writer and painter
(1902-1981)

Send your comments to (words AT wordsmith.org). To unsubscribe, update address
send gift subscription, etc., visit http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscriber.html

Pronunciation:
http://wordsmith.org/words/catamaran.wav
http://wordsmith.org/words/catamaran.ram

This message was sent to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".