On 11/09/13 10:46, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> On 11/09/2013 8:23 AM, Tom Worthington wrote:
>
> It's Cass-Dunbar, not Cass-Dunba.

Apologies, I have corrected the blog version:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2013/09/effect-of-new-government-on-ict-in.html

> IMHO, there is a risk that any government thinks that by talking to ICT
> people, they can make more efficient use of ICT. ...

IMHO, there is a bigger risk in thinking that by NOT talking to ICT
people, you can make more efficient use of ICT.

On 11/09/13 15:03, Roger Clarke wrote:
 > At 8:23 +1000 11/9/13, Tom Worthington wrote:
 >> ...  the use of the Internet in place of physical delivery of
 >> services. ...
 >
 > That's been the dream of every government since the late 1990s ...

We can sell the government a lot of stuff, before they realize it won't
work. ;-)

More seriously, with the citizens now used to interacting with companies
and other organizations on-line, they are more likely to be receptive to
eGovernment.

 >> The new Government will aim to reduce ICT cost and complexity with
 >> shared or cloud services. ...
 >
 > There's ample evidence to show that: agencies have highly varying
profiles ...

There are some applications common across agencies, as an example, the
staff are (mostly) recruited and employed under the same conditions by
the same employer. A low risk place to start, for example, might be
recruitment.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/