On 26/11/2014 9:14 AM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-11-26 at 08:49 +1100, Tom Worthington wrote:
>> says, it is difficult to use solar or wind power for on-demand power as
>> the sun does not shine, and the wind does not blow, on demand
>
> I'd like to see more study of small and large scale energy *storage*,
> since the obvious way to smooth demand vs supply mismatches is to store
> energy when you have a surplus and release it when you have a deficit.
> I'm not suggesting that all of these are actually useful for storing
> (say) solar overproduction, but things like:
>
> - lifting a weight
> - tensing a spring
> - pumping water up hill
> - dumping energy into heating or cooling
> - battery storage (small local and large centralised)
> - spinning a flywheel
> - dumping energy into ongoing but not time critical tasks
>    (compute tasks like rendering or physical tasks like filling a tank)
>
> ...and of course the synergy between electrical cars and their potential
> use (sorry) for energy storage when they are not being driven.
A few large-scale ideas here:
<http://reneweconomy.com.au/2013/the-long-term-storage-challenge-batteries-not-included-73186>

and for the truly small-scale:
<http://cleantechnica.com/2014/11/11/nifty-little-nano-battery-mighty-mite-energy-storage/>.

Technology's running off in more directions than there are dimensions
(slight hyperbole there). To pretend that anything is proven to be
"impossible" shows ignorance and arrogance (or perhaps a vested interest).

> Some of these lose lots of the energy, but it's "free" ...
On that, there's the Weißbach paper
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360544213000492>,
(to which I don't have access) referenced in a post on Barry Brook's
pro-nuclear blog
<http://bravenewclimate.com/2014/08/22/catch-22-of-energy-storage/> and
at
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/08/1221552/-GETTING-TO-ZERO-Is-renewable-energy-economically-viable>.

To which my only comment is that the figures are comically rubbery:
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/eroi-behind-numbers-energy-return-investment/>.

Most of the "debate" about renewables and storage seems to centre around
the nuclear power lobby.

To get this a bit more on topic for Link, I reckon much of the solution
lies in demand management, "smart grids" and other efficiencies.

--
David Boxall                    |  When a distinguished but elderly
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  possible, he is almost certainly
                                |  right. When he states that
                                |  something is impossible, he is
                                |  very probably wrong.