It's interesting to see this topic surfacing again so soon, it obviously
excites passions.

So let's think about the idea in more detail.  If cars are to be completely
computer-controlled by law, then they must safely transport the man living in
some rural area who wants to take his pregnant wife 50Km to hospital at 3am
over unlit rural roads which may be wet, unmarked, or unmade.  Even leaving
aside unpredictable complications arising from kangaroos and other animals,
washouts, etc., how is the computer to navigate the journey?

It would seem navigation data must be either (a) locally read from information
associated with the road such as road-markings, or (b) obtained externally from
a GPS or other system, or (c) obtained by an on-board AI system which is at
least the equal of the human driver who has travelled the same road many times
before.

Case (a) requires _every_ single road & track in the country to be equipped
with the appropriate infrastructure.  Case (b) requires a GPS or
inertial-navigation system far ahead of anything we have now and there would
still remain the problem of mapping inaccuracies & updates.  Case (c) requires
an AI system far ahead of anything we have now together with some source of
positional data per (a) or (b).

As Bernard pointed out in another thread, any such system introduces huge
control-systems complexity.  It's one thing to run a "driverless" Volvo on a a
well-marked expressway in broad daylight, but it's another thing altogether to
get the pregnant wife to hospital at 3am.  We're dealing with autonomous
systems which must be engineered to a safety-of-life standard, and there's
always a tradeoff between complexity and reliability.  And then there's cost...

David L.