At 12:49 +1000 28/7/16, David Lochrin wrote:
>Hofstatder states "To me, the major question in AI is this: "What in the world
>is going on to enable you to convert from 100,000,000 retinal dots into one
>single word 'mother' in one tenth of a second?"  Perception is where it's at!"

Much as I admire Hofstadter - and I should pull out my copy of 'Metamagical
Themas' as well - I 'perceive' no significant difference between the notion of
'perception' as we're discussing it here, and 'grace' in Christian liturgical
thought.

It's a denotator of the gap between the physical apparatus and what we think we
think.  It's not a denotator of a construct for which one or more working
definitions / operationalisations exist that provide a meaningful basis for
analysis and debate.

I'm a theist.  I understand why people need a god or gods, and I'm very happy
to use the term 'god' for the gap between what I think I can grasp and all
those things that I'm sure I can't.  (But she doesn't have a throne, an
avuncular look, or a beard).

I put the notions god, grace and perception in the same basket.

That's not a put-down.  It's an acknowledgement that it's not feasible to
construct refutable statements with any of those terms in them, i.e. in
Popperian terms, they're part of the ascientific realm.

Tel: +61 2 6288 6916                        http://about.me/roger.clarke
mailto:roger.cla...@xamax.com.au                http://www.xamax.com.au/

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.