On 15/05/17 12:14, David Lochrin wrote:

...Debian offers a number of GUI implementations, including the
widely used KDE which can be configured to have the traditional
Windows look & feel.

Yes, I use the Mint Linux with an old fashioned Windows interface.

... it's difficult to see why any organisation would prefer Windows.
Maybe a big corporation gives a sense of parental comfort?

Part of this is familiarity. If you have done all your education using a
particular operating system and packages, then it can be difficult to
conceive of using anything else. Google has made some progress in the
education area introducing students and teachers to an alternative to Microsoft products. But this is just replacing one hegemony with another.

A tempting option for students is a phablet which you can dock to make
it a desktop computer. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft,
Google, or no one, wins out in that market.

ps: Correction: over the last five years I have been a student at *four*
higher education institutions, not three.

--
Tom Worthington, MEd, FACS CP.  http://www.tomw.net.au t +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd.    PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Adjunct Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington