BobJ: Might there not be a simpler way to record this information then, say
in the Medicare chip?

You really expect a frangible, easily-misplaced solution to work reliably?
What do you do when you lose your card, or cook it?  Go around to to the 5,
10, 20... health care providers you have seen in the last three years and
request a re-download?  Or do you periodically save it's contents in your
dropbox?  The security of the card creates a similar set of risks to access
to the repository. Who can access it, what security protocols, etc, etc.
Much smarter would be to drop the perfect security fetish.

Jim