> Let's say you ran a large, profitable company like IBM.

Software revenues around $12 billion.

> You're risking a lot in supporting something like Linux.

OTOH - IBM achieved its utter dominance of the industry in the late
1960s using a public domain operating system.

> Contrary to popular belief, it is not the silver bullet of all IT,
and it is not the most stable operating
> system in existence (nor even close).

I think the solution to this problem is perhaps not what most people
expect.

The RAS of an operating system is one thing, and there's no doubt
Linux has a way to go to catch z/OS.  The RAS of a hardware platform
is another issue.  Put the two together and what happens?

In the case of Linux on zSeries, not a lot.  But z/OS on zSeries is a
different issue - the operating system has a lot of active support for
hardware RAS built in - some of which would be difficult if not
impossible to implement in Linux.

The unique selling proposition of zSeries is in fact no such thing -
it's the unique selling proposition of the _combination_ of zSeries
hardware with an operating system that can support hardware RAS.  I
hate the word 'synergy', but it applies.

Linux/390 gives ready access to the platform for Linux applications.
However - there aren't actually all that many, and most of them are
not very scalable.

I see system reliabilty and security becoming more important than ever
in 2002.  We've had a run of very pervasive email viruses and I'm
convinced we're in for a phase of destructive activity by those
sympathetic to Bin Laden and his ilk.  If IBM can only deal with the
price issue, z/OS would be ideally placed as the provider of highly
secure environments.

I'm not anti-Linux or anti-Open Source - quite the reverse - but I see
greater potential for developing the z/OS market than the Linux/390
market over the short and perhaps medium term.

--
  Phil Payne
  The Devil's IT Dictionary - last updated 2001/12/22: