I cannot guarantee any of this (I am not a lawyer, etc etc...) but at least to
the letter of the GPL (which covers most if not all applications that are part
of most major Linux distributions), it is allowed to charge a fee for the
physical redistribution of a program.  A company is also allowed to charge a
fee for providing a warranty for the program.

So a distributor is entirely within their rights to charge a nominal fee for
the packaging and redistribution of GPL packages, and on top of that charge a
fee for providing support and services, since that would constitute a warranty
for the product they deliver to you.  There is of course no limitation to the
amount of such a fee (putting such a limit in the GPL would probably be a
killing blow to the entire GPL idea anyway).  So, as long as a distributor is
offering some form of service that goes along with the distribution, they can
charge for that.  And if they bundle other packages with the GPL stuff, and
those are their own development, they of course can charge for those as well.

        Kris