> Furthermore, a Linux distribution is a Linux
>distribution is a Linux distribution - so why does it seem reasonable that
>can pick up a SuSE for Intel CD for $10 and all I get is what I wanted, the
>distribution on CD - but for S/390 I'm required to pay $14,990 more for
>service I neither asked for nor desire (at this time)?!?

In a word, volume. There are a lot more Intel PCs than S390s, and the 390
expertise is rare and expensive. PC weenies are dime a case (even if you
don't return the empties...8-)). I'm not upset about a higher price for 390
CDs -- I don't have a problem with $500-700 for a media-only kit.  I just
want the option of not buying support if I don't want it.

-- db