>I only use 'iucv=TCPIP' in the kernel command line. That's it. The weird
thing is, that when I open a 3270 session to a >machine/user that is stuck,
and I press a couple of enters, then "b" in the CP Read, the connection
returns to its original >state (starts working again).

We have had same situation !

If your guest goes to the eligible list it will drop IUCV connection.
Guest goes to the eligible list of you do not have enough system resources
to serve guest.
If you define more RAM (in directory) for guest what you actually have you
may cause such situation. (most common).

IND QUEUES gives you information about your lists. (E1-E3=eligible)

Normal Linux guest without timer patch will hang in Q3, because of VM will
not drop it until 300 ms idle.
Timer will bring Linux guest to the Q3 on every timer tics (100 ms)

pasi