From: Rob van der Heij [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 10:30 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Shutdown of penguinvm.princeton.edu

For as long as we can remember, Melinda Varian of Princeton University
has provided a virtual shelter for homeless VM Systems Programmers.
When during the summer of 1999 some of us got very excited by the idea
to run Linux on VM, Melinda generously donated a corner of PUCC to do
our testing and development. With the users of the system spread over
all continents and time zones, Melinda more than once added an extra
mini disk or created a new userid between getting up and taking her
morning showers.
We owe Melinda a big THANK YOU for her never ending support.

Princeton University's main VM system, PUCC, has been 'going away' for
some time now. We are very sad that Princeton University will not be
able to keep their position as prominent VM installation in the future,
especially with the renewed interest in z/VM that we see in many shops.
The imminent move of PUCC to a very small box means the final end for
our Linux work on the system.

The main thing left over is the web site that still gets some 1000 hits a
day. The only good news we have is that we found a place to save the
web site - at http://linuxvm.org/penguinvm/

Neale and Rob