Except there is currently a bug in the interface that for some devices, such
as DASD, the echo command MUST have a trailing blank in it:
echo "add device range=0100-0104 " >> /proc/dasd/devices

From: Carlos Ordonez [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 8:33 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Moving /usr to another disk

Marcy, you can add DASD dynamically in 2.4  by:

echo "add device range=0100-0104" >> /proc/dasd/devices          <------
0100-0104 is the device address of the new dasd , notice >>  which means
concat
echo "set device range=0100-0104 on" >> /proc/dasd/devices

Carlos :-)

Carlos A. Ordonez
IBM Corporation
Server Consolidation

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Marcy Cortes    |
|         |           <marcy@WellsFarg|
|         |           o.COM>          |
|         |           Sent by: Linux  |
|         |           on 390 Port     |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           RIST.EDU>       |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           02/26/2002 06:55|
|         |           PM              |
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to Linux on 390 |
|         |           Port            |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->

----------------------------------------------------|

----------------------------------------------------|

Mark Post wrote:
>Actually, all I wanted to indicate was that people with 2.2 kernels will
>need to reboot to add DASD.  I didn't want to get into the details of how
>all that is done in this particular HOWTO.  So, I reworded the 2.2 part to
>take out those details.

Actually, that was the hardest part for me as a VMer new to
Linux to find.  It wasn't in the Suse doc (although there is
enough about dasdfmt, mke2fs, and fdasd) and I couldn't find
a howto on it anywhere.

And I found that I did need to reboot Linux 2.4.  Is this not
the case?  Maybe I didn't find the dynamic way (I did try
insmod too but came to the conclusion through reading the list
archives that that's only for the initial install out of the
ramdisk).

Marcy