James Melin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> What is the name of the file that silo creates?

It's called boot.map, in the current working directory.  This
can be overridden by the "map" record in /etc/silo.conf.

>                                                 My sysprog
> wants to see
> what is in this file, and he says it has to be a certain
> place on the disk?

Sort of.  It needs to be on the same filesystem (i.e. same
DASD) as the image and parmline files and from which you
will IPL.  All these files are usually stored in the /boot
directory, which is typically on your root filesystem.

> Is there anything that can screw up where this gets written
> to vs where it
> needs to be written to?

Yup - if you weren't running silo from within the same
filesystem as the boot files, or if the "map" record in
/etc/silo.conf specified a location outside that filesystem.
I see you were runing silo against a mounted filesystem -
did you "cd" into it first?

Ross Patterson
Computer Associates