So, if silo appeared to work, does your LPAR now IPL successfully?  Or at
least _start_ to IPL, since it wasn't doing that before?

From: James Melin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 9:16 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Attempting first IPL after initial SuSE install

Silo appeared to work. I have seen no reference to zipl in any
documentation that I currently have. (dig...dig...dig) Ahh, the manual that
came with the install media... It's.... the 7.0 version I'm dealing with.

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: Attempting first IPL after initial SuSE install

-----------------------------------|

The silo command does not create a file, it just writes some information
(including the "ipl text" found in ipleckd.boot out to the appropriate part
of the DASD unit.  None of the file names used by silo are fixed, they can
be specified any way you want.  The only reason I suggested doing it again
was to verify that the output I showed you gets generated.  If it does not,
then you do _not_ have an IPLable volume.  If it does, you should.  The
really important part you _must_ see is:
Silo:ix 0:offset:078523 count:0c address 0x00000000
Silo:ix 1:offset:078530 count:80 address 0x0000c000
Silo:ix 2:offset:0785b0 count:80 address 0x0008c000
Silo:ix 3:offset:078630 count:6f address 0x0010c000
Silo:ix 4:offset:07a8de count:01 address 0x00008000
Silo:Bootmap is in block no:0x00001ed7

You may or may not have to play with the -t2 option.  I needed to specify
it
on SuSE 7.0 (the version you are running), I don't believe you need to do
it
on SuSE 7.2.  If it is the 7.2 version, then the command you need to use is
"zipl" and not "silo".  "Fall 2001 media" sounds like the 7.2 version, not
7.0.