On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 06:07:38PM -0400, Post, Mark K wrote:
> Date:         Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:07:38 -0400
> From: "Post, Mark K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:      Re: OK who messed with the redbook?
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Richard,
>
> I've got a running Red Hat 7.2 (very minimal) system up.  What exactly would
> you want from me?
>
> Mark Post

I want to do a sorta "Linux/390 sampler CD".
Ideally, you would choose which Linux flavour you want to play with
and then just IPL it. On your PC (Linux or Windows, at home or at work)

I think this would make it easier for the sysprog's to play with their
distro of choice on their pissy at home or work, without fear of
creating havoc on a system, or having to beg for access to the HMC.

In other words, MINDSHARE.

So, what I want is a single mini-disk for each distro, so that
we can get all distro's on a single CD, and then set it up to run
with "Volker's Tu{r|n}key Spezial".

For those of you who don't know "Volker's Turnkey Spezial",
take a look at http://www.cbttape.org/cdrom.htm
and/or http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/

For the Linux people who don't know cbttape.org, check it out.
They started doing free software on tapes a long time before
any of us even knew that software could be open or free.

OK, here we go...
 For each of the distro's in
  Redhat, SuSE, Turbo, Debian, ThinkBlue/64 (Have I missed any?)

    I'd like a single bootable CCKD DASD Image about 1/5th of a CDROM
    large. (No need for a swap partition, a single SWAP should be OK)
    Standardised "HW" possibly similar to what I have for my Debian/390
      200     3390    DEB390-CCKD sf=DEB390-shadow_   nosyio
      201     3390    SWAP-CCKD   sf=SWAP-shadow_     nosyio
      A000    3088    CTCI (windows or Linux syntax, standardised IPADDR)
      A001    3088    CTCI
      ????    3505    ./rdr/whatever
      ????    3420    ./tape/whatever.TDF

    If we have enough room, I'd like to include a "boot_dir" containing
      ${distro}/boot/lpar_kernel
      ${distro}/boot/lpar_parmline
      ${distro}/boot/lpar_initrd
    which we could move to ${target_dir}${distro} and unzip the initrd
    If done properly, this can be IPLed from the Console directly,
    just like the HMC IPL

Disclaimer1:
Hercules is "getting ready for" a new release "real soon now".
(I don't announce things, Jay does that when he is ready.)
It would make sense to time the Linux/390 CD-set some time after the
initial Hercules_2.16 dust has settled.

Disclaimer2:
I haven't talked to Volker about these plans at all, so I don't know
how this fits in with his schedule, and we both have day jobs.
Building on Volkers existing CD has the advantage that all of the windows stuff
has been done the way it should be done. (I don't have windows here, so I wouldn't
know).
I have played with Volker before (http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/os390/)
and we both had fun, and were able to learn from each other.

Disclaimer3:
I haven't talked to Sam & Sam at cbttape.org about their plans at
http://www.cbttape.org/linux390.htm, and I don't want to step on toes.
However, I _do_ think that there's a need for a Linux/390 playground.
In terms of Bandwidth, I can host this at source.rfc822.org, and
I'm sure we'll find a home for it on other continents as well.

Richard
--
I stand corrected: M$-Exchange *IS* RFC-Compliant.
RFC1925 Para 2 Section (3)