Thanks.
If there were a problem with the TCP/IP network, RSCS provides an
alternative way to send files and Passthru provides another way into the VM.

If cheap enough, we'd probably want them. Just because other unix systems
only have IP doesn't mean we have to settle for that.
Actually we  have a home grown software maintenance facility that uses RSCS
to send files to a service machine that upgrades software on
the remote node.  Like some other folks we erroneously assumed we'd be able
to have RSCS NJE links from our legacy VM systems to the new
VM system on the IFL. We're old time VM'ers and know RSCS and Passthru would
be nice to have if not a lot of money.  On the other hand,
we have to keep the cost down on VM and LINUX/390- don't want to make the
mainframe look expensive and we would sacrifice the RSCS links
and Passthru if needed.