>  And, if I may ask, what
> do you need
> RSCS and PVM for that cannot be handled by FTP or Telnet?  (Given that
> this is a Linux workload, not traditional apps.)

One thing might be that they're integrating a set of pre-existing management
tools to cover the VM side of the new box -- not too uncommon to ship all
the console logs for TCP and OPERATOR over to one system so you don't have
to do automation in multiple places.  FTP is difficult to automate (as
you've seen over time), and the current telnet client doesn't have scripting
built in like PVM does -- although a TCPIP line driver would be a nice
extension to PVM.  Hmm. Where did I put that requirement form..

-- db