Hi,

Regarding z/VM LAN broadcast simulation ...

Broadcast packets are marked as such by the guest (the device drivers).
The guest LAN acts as a hub and delivers a copy of the broadcast packet
to the data connection of every virtual adapter (NIC) coupled to that LAN
regardless of the destination IP Address or the subnet mask.

Well... not every adapter... The adapter has to be initialized and enabled
for receipt of inbound broadcast... but I believe the drivers for the QDIO
adapter will enable broadcast by default.

>From David Boyes:
>Another thought on the subject of DHCP. Are/do the new VNICs have a
>unique MAC address so as to allow them to use DHCP and still get a
>fixed configuration. This would be a major goodness if it is possible.

Each virtual adapter (NIC) is assigned a unique MACADDR value when it
is defined.  That value is unique within the z/VM host system where the NIC
and the LAN are defined.

Regards,
Dennis Musselwhite ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Corporation -- z/VM Development -- CP Network Simulation