> On 01.05.2002 at 23:55:40, Dennis Musselwhite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > The guest LAN acts as a hub and delivers a copy of the broadcast packet
> > to the data connection of every virtual adapter (NIC) coupled to that LAN
> > regardless of the destination IP Address or the subnet mask.
>
> Ok, let's rephrase...
>
> How does the guest LAN identify which are broadcast packets, if not by the
> destination IP address?
>
> ... <penny drops> ...
>
> Wait a minute, there's a special MAC address used for broadcast also, isn't
> there...?  So the Guest LAN knows by the broadcast *MAC* address that the pac
> ket
> has to be sent to all coupled NICs, right?

I was about to suggest that. It's how ARP works - I've looked at tcpdump reports
and seen it sending a message 'who is 192.168.1.5" and getting the reply "I am
192.168.1.5."

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
        be right!