> Further, be a bit careful with DHCP relays in this environment.  While the
> MAC addresses generated by VM are in the 00-04-AC range allocated to IBM,
> they aren't guaranteed to be unique (hey, they're generated out of thin
> air!) in the network universe.  If y'all think that's a Real Problem, and
> not just an academic oddity, let us know and we'll take it under
> advisement.  (For extra credit: Devise an algorithm which constructs
> world-unique virtual MAC addresses.  Answers will be graded based on
> originality and legibility.)

I'm only half-remembering this, but isn't there a manufacturer range
reserved for "user-defined" MAC addresses?  If I recall VMWare uses this.

Also, will these MAC's be consistent?  Normally, were I to use DHCP in this
environment, I'd want to be able to always assign machine "foo" the same
IP address, the easiest route is 'foo' always has the same MAC.

Also, is the MAC generation routine smart enough to not make two of the same
on one glan?  (I assume yes).

>From discussion with a friend: "Now, see, if that was MS, they'd change all
networks so they can always route to a central MS server from which it'd
check a database for a MAC not in use." :)

-m

--
Michael Kershaw
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Don't worry, I'm sure they'll listen to Reason." -- Fisheye, Snowcrash