I am currently trying to install the latest version of Suse Linux (2.4
kernel) in an LPAR and having trouble defining the ethernet card. The
machine is a MP3000 H30 with 3 LPARs with 3 ethernet cards and 1 token ring
card.

     LPAR 1: VSE had TR card dedicated to it.
     LPAR 2: not in use
     LPAR 3: LINUX has one ethernet card dedicated to it.

     MPTS, IOCP, EMIO configuration (devmap) and lantran.log have been
reviewed for problems.

I am installing Linux using the CD reader built into the MP3000. When i get
to the part of the initial installation asking about the network I select
option 2 to install OSA Ethernet (LCS device). I first tried to install
manually using the real hardware addresses (720,721) and port 0. It could
not find the real hardware. I then told it to do the autoinstall and it
told me the hardware was a Token Ring card.  I tried this several times
with the same result. I even tried using an older version of SuSe (2.2
kernel) with the same results.

I also tried the following from the Check HW Configuration/Detection.

Selecting option 8 (show devices enabled for detection in proc/chandev.
This shows all the ethernet cards as defined in the devmap (all 4 of them).

Selecting option 6 (show detected devices in proc/chandev). This shows what
i would expect since it matches what IOCP says is there (720 as 3088 and
721 as 3088).

It appears to me that for some reason that it finds the first set of
address pairs (00,01) which is in the devmap and is also the TR adapter and
is trying to force that as the device driver for the LCS adapter. It shows
that it finds device TR0 even though the addresses for the TR are dedicated
to VSE (partition= PRODVSE in the IOCP)

error msg i receive:
     eth0: error fetching interface information: device not found
     eth0 not available check device addresses/cards and cables.

Any help you can give me resolving this issue would be appreciated

Ira Hochner
Mainline Information Systems

(954) 575-0413 (office)
(954) 294-1719 (cell)