Thanks to all who responded.   I understand about the utilities which use 3270
data streams and/or require an interrupt from a real device, but I often find
myself in situations at customer sites where I need to bring systems up to
test something and cannot afford to wait until a gen takes place.  I didn't
realize the HMC was available under VM/ESA - I missed everything from VM/XA
until z/VM doing other things.

Regards,
Steve Oswald

--