From: Dave Coulstock [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 5:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Suse-Linux 2.2.16 install from CD media kit - problem

Can anyone help me with the problem described below please? I can provide
more information if required.

I am attempting to install SuSE-Linux Enterprise Server for S/390 2.2.16
under VM/ESA 2.4.0 from the 3-CD media kit for evaluation purposes and I am
following the installation procedures described in "Preparing for Installing
SuSE Linux for S/390" (Linux-1001-01) and "Installing SuSE Linux for S/390"
(Linux-1002-01) and also Simon Williams' paper "Building Linux Systems under
IBM VM" (form no. REDP0120).

The installation environment is a 128/256Mb virtual machine with the
following 3380 minidisks: 191 (92 cyl), 292 (2654 cyl), 293 (300 cyl). The
starter system boots successfully from the VM reader and the message
"Welcome to SuSE Linux S/390 7.0" confirms this. I am using  OSA-Ethernet
(option 2) to access it and am able to Telnet into it and run YaST. The
startup message "Linux version 2.2.16 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
2.95.2 19991024 (release)) #1 SMP Fri Nov 3 09:38:59 GMT 2000" identifies
the software release.

I have chosen to use an FTP server as the method of installing from the CDs
and get the following  when checking the input parameters (apologies for the
formatting) ...

FTP Settings                  YaST Version 1.07.1 -- (c) 1994-2000 SuSE GmbH

| FTP Server [Name|IP]  :2.204.1.4
: |
| Server directory      :/cd/suse
: |
| [ ] Use Proxy?
|
| Proxy [Name|IP]       :(no proxy)
: |
| [X] Default FTP Port?
|
| Port [Number]         :21
: |
| [ ] Anonymous FTP?
|
| Login                 :linux
: |
| Password              :*****
: |
| Timeout [Seconds]     :60
: |
Log: ---------------------------------------------------------------------+|
||Connecting to [2.204.1.4]
||Check server directory...
||/cd...
||550 /cd/setup/descr: folder not found
||File not found on server
||/cd/suse...
||Server directory is: /cd/suse
||Closed connection to [2.204.1.4]
||Settings Ok.
|+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--+|
                    F1=Help   F5=Check   F10=Ok   Esc=Cancel

On pressing F10 Yast accesses folder /cd/suse/setup/descr several times and
displays the message "Note: found no kernel images on server!".  A panel
headed "Reading description files ..." is displayed containing the messages
"Base system: unknown", "Source media: SuSE-Linux-US-S390 7.0.0-0", "1607
packages on installation medium...", etc. and then the main menu appears. If
I select the "Load configurations" option here I get the message "There are
no configurations available". I am thus unable to generate an instance which
I can write to disk and boot from.

I have checked the CDs using Windows Explorer and FTPing from VM and the
Linux starter system and as far as I can tell all looks ok - the kernel
images are there in /suse/images and descriptions in /suse/setup/descr. I
can download objects in these directories to VM or the Linux starter system
using FTP.

As a further approach I have copied the contents of CD1 to the hard drive of
the FTP server (into a directory called (Linux)and attempted the
installation from there with similar results. Also copying the
/suse/setup/descr directory to the linux directory removes the "folder not
found" message when checking the ftp-server settings but does not cure the
problem.

Thanks,

Dave Coulstock
Systems Programmer