What happened to me was that I had CD 1 mounted and started the install. Most of the
packages were transferred, but I think there were three that it said weren't installed
when it was done. I switched to CD 3, where they were, and then installed the three
packages. I then continued the installation, but got error messages that the kernel
image (if I remember correctly) could not be found, and couldn't be copied to the new
machine. This image was on CD 1, which now wasn't available. Plus, there didn't seem
to be a way to get back to that point so that the install could be continued with the
correct CD mounted.

So.... Format the disk and start over, install from CD 1, install from CD 3, and then
put CD 1 back in the drive before moving to the next step. This led to a successful
installation.

If I could have had both CDs mounted to my FTP server at the same time, I wouldn't
have had a problem (well, maybe with path issues....). If the install had mentioned
that I needed CD 1 in the drive before continuing, I wouldn't have had a problem. If
the install had gotten everything from CD 1 it needed before beginning the package
installation process, I wouldn't have had a problem. (Not trying to be bitter; just
looking at what alternatives would have led to an easier install.)

Actually, I'm fairly sure that I'd have had the same problem had I been installing
SuSE to another PC instead of the mainframe. There really isn't anything magic about
the mainframe; Linux is Linux. That's the whole beauty of the thing.

----
Robert P. Nix                            internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mayo Clinic                                  phone: 507-284-0844
200 1st St. SW                             page: 507-255-3450
Rochester, MN 55905
----
"In theory, theory and practice are the same,
 but in practice, theory and practice are different."