> So...I'll be inheriting an H50 and have been tasked to
> setup this box so that we can basically POC and Demo
> VSE, OS/390 2.10,  z/OS 1.3,  z/VM4.3 and S/390 Linux.

That's a REALLY SMALL box for that many OSes, and splitting it up into LPARs
will just make it seem smaller.  Run VM in basic mode on the box and make
everything else a guest.

> It'll have 4 NIC cards, one will be used for SE and LAN3274 consoles.
> 3 will be available for IP and SNA  (not sure if we'll have a
> need to demo
> SNA)
>
> Suggestions for design?

Dedicate two of the adapters to Linux guests and use guest LANs to connect
VM TCP and the z/OS systems. Use CTC interfaces in Linux guests to connect
to the VSE and OS/390 systems. Keep the 3rd adapter in case you have to do
SNA.

> I was thinking of using  z/VM and guest lans to establish connectivity
> between the z/VM images and the z/OS images.
> Then I'll need CTC's for the 2.10 & VSE LPARs right?

Yup.

> I guess I'm still confused on whether I should be using VM proxy arp
> and one subnet...or should I go the guest lan/ctc route with different
> subnets?

Go guest LAN. Not only is it The Right Thing To Do, it's a transparent setup
for when you get a bigger box and can do the same thing on a box with real
hipersockets.

> Also, does it make sense to keep the z/OS and OS390 images in their
> own LPARs versus under zVM ...I'm thinking YES...

Not on a box that small, esp with only 1 real engine.  An H70, you might
consider LPARs, but not here.

-- db