Alan Altmark writes:
> On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 16:23, Phil Payne wrote:
> > > This was forwarded to me by a co-worker.  It's interesting, and sort
> of
> > > echoes IBM's experience with 64-bit Linux on zSeries.  IBM mainframes
> have a
> > > maximum of 16 processors per box, but they also saw linear scalability
> when
> > > running a 2.4 kernel in 64-bit mode.  This is very nice verification
> of
> > > those results.
> >
> > I didn't think Linux supported a 16-way image.
>
> I would be remiss if I didn't point out that IBM only *sells* boxes with a
> maximum of 16 CPUs.  That is not an architectural maximum of zSeries.
> Consider that z/VM guest virtual machines can have a maximum of 64 virtual
> CPUs (again, an implementation limit , not architeture)!  Granted, it
> isn't useful to have more virtual CPUs than you have real ones, but I just
> don't want anyone to get the idea that mainframes have some sort of
> inherent CPU limit.

I can confirm that a Linux guest (RedHat 7.1 s390x) boots OK with 32
CPUs (virtual ones) under z/VM 4.3. What amused me was that when I
ran "top" it only had room to show 3 or 4 process lines at the
bottom because the whole top section was taking 20 or so lines
showing the per-CPU usage information.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>